Busy Day For Emergency Responders

Busy Day For Emergency Responders

photo - Waterloo firefighter Blake Novack carries a pup to safety from inside a Waterloo home filled with natural gas. 

Thursday morning was a busy time for emergency responders throughout the county. 

9:30 a.m.: There was a report of the smell of anhydrous ammonia from a nurse tank setting in a farm field off Fourth Street on the east end of Waterloo. The situation was soon handled. 

****

10 a.m.: A Waterloo man was transported to an area hospital this morning after losing consciousness in a field in the 5300 block of MM Road. The man was working on farm equipment when he lost consciousness. A second farmer called 911 and began CPR. Red Bud first responders soon arrived and assisted in providing first aid.

A Monroe County ambulance crew, county deputies and Waterloo firefighters also arrived on the scene just after 10 a.m. and worked to revive the man. He came to and was transported by ambulance to an area hospital. The man is expected to make a full recovery.

The initial call came out as a person down following an anhydrous ammonia leak on a nurse tank. Further investigation determined that anhydrous ammonia leaking was not a contributing factor.

****

11 a.m.: A natural gas line ruptured at a home near the intersection of Adams and Madison Streets on the east end of Waterloo. Waterloo utility crews worked for a couple hours to make the repair. Because of the heavy concentration of natural gas, Waterloo firefighters and police officers evacuated nearby homes until the situation was under control. Waterloo firefighters were able to rescue a dog that was inside the home filling with gas. The pup appeared perfectly fine. 

*****

 11 a.m.Hecker firefighters were dispatched this morning to put out a brush fire. It was soon extinguished.