Head-On Collision Sends Six To Hospital

Head-On Collision Sends Six To Hospital

Six young adults were rushed to area hospitals following a head-on collision Tuesday evening along LL Road Road in rural St. Joe. The injuries to the four to six persons involved are not believed to be life-threatening. 

At 6:15 p.m., a 911 call was made to report a gold Silverado truck and a white Nissan Altima colliding head-on along LL Road about 1/2 mile east of the Kaskaskia Road intersection (just east of the St. Joe crossroads). This section of road flattens out after a slight crest in a hill. 

Witnesses in passing vehicles tended to the victims until emergency personnel arrived. Showing up on scene were four ambulances - three Waterloo and one Columbia, Monroe County Sheriff's deputies, and firefighters from Maeystown and Waterloo. Those first on the scene requested helicopters to the scene, but they were unable to fly because of the approaching storm. There were two people in the truck and four in the car. 

Firefighters used Jaws of Life to work in unison with the paramedics in extricating the injured from inside both vehicles. Once loaded onto ambulances, the six victims were sped away to hospitals. 

The injuries ranged from minor to serious, but none of the injuries appeared to be life threatening. 


Tuesday was a busy evening for emergency personnel. Waterloo firefighters and police officers, along with Monroe County Ambulance Service personnel took part in Waterloo's Porta Westfalica Parade. It began at 6 p.m. 
At 6:15 p.m., the sirens went off for the bad wreck in St. Joe. So the ambulances and fire trucks broke out of the line and headed to the scene. 
At 6:45 p.m. there was a report of a gas leak at a home on James Street in Waterloo. ​

​Soon after that, there were two calls for ambulance in Waterloo - at a home on Parkwood and also at Gallagher's Restaurant. 
Just after 8 p.m., a car overturned in an accident along Rt. 156 (Hecker highway) at Susewind Drive (just east of the Waterloo city limits). The drive of the car, luckily, was not injured and declined to be taken to the hospital.